April is just around the corner, which means that spring is almost fully in swing! One classic spring and summer activity, which is perfect for kids and adults, is tie-dying, or the process of using colored dye to customize white t-shirts, sheets, and more. Yet, tie-dye isn’t just for clothing and bedding. You can also tie-dye sugar cookies! Follow along with this fun and kid-friendly tutorial from PureWow for tasty, tie-dyed sugar cookies that you won’t be able to get enough of.
• 1 batch cut-out sugar cookies, cooled completely
• 2½ cups confectioners’ sugar
• 2½ tablespoons milk, plus more as needed
• 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
• ½ teaspoon pure vanilla or almond extract (optional)
• Assorted gel food coloring, in colors of your choice
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the confectioners’ sugar, milk, corn syrup, and extract (if using). Add more milk as necessary to make an icing that drizzles easily off a spoon but is still on the thick side (or about the viscosity of honey). Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a damp towel if not using right away.
2. Use a toothpick, small skewer, or chopstick to swirl a small amount of the food coloring through the icing, leaving streaks. (Don’t overmix the food coloring, or the cookies won’t have a “tie-dye” effect.) You can use as many colors as you want, but the more you mix, the muddier the colors will get.
3. Working one at a time, carefully dip a cookie face down into the glaze. Turn the cookie right side up and transfer it to a cooling rack, letting any excess glaze drip off. If the icing loses its streaks as you dip, you can add a little more food coloring and swirl it again. Let the icing set for at least 4 hours (and up to 12).
4. The cookies will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
At Appling Lakes Apartments in Cordova, Tennessee, our goal is to help you maintain a balanced life. The first step? We promise to keep you up-to-speed on fun activities, creative arts and crafts projects, and new recipes that you and your family are sure to love.